Temporary Food Service


The City of Garland Code of Ordinances defines a temporary food service establishment as an entity “which operates at a fixed location for a period of time of not more than five (5) consecutive days in conjunction with a specific event.”  Each separate event shall require a separate temporary food establishment permit.  An event may occur at a given site only once during a 30-day period. An application for such permit shall be filed at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled event.

DETERMINING IF A temporary FOOD PERMIT is needed

  • Is the general public invited to the event?
  • Can persons other than members of the organization and their family members attend?
  • Have you advertised the fundraiser in newspapers, on the radio, posted bulletins, mailed out flyers?
  • Have you sold tickets to persons other than organization members?

If one of these answers is "yes", then you likely need a temporary food service permit.  The Health Department recognized that many instances of non-profit organization food service functions do not involve the public. We refer to these activities as closed party functions in which organization members, their families, and invited guests are the only persons present. Examples of closed party functions include church dinners, regular meetings of civic organizations and clubs, and certain sales of baked goods at schools during school hours, etc. The average children's neighborhood beverage stand does not require a permit.

If you are unsure whether your group’s planned food service requires a permit, please call the Health Department at 972-205-3460.


A temporary food service permit shall be obtained from the health department. Only approved, non-time/temperature control for safety foods may be sold at bake sales. Cream or custard-filled pies and home-canned products are prohibited.  Non-perishable baked items may be prepared in the home, but all food portions must be individually wrapped and protected from contamination.


The average children's neighborhood beverage stand does not require a permit.

farmer's markets and Cottage food

Fee Schedule and application


The Garland Health Department may inspect temporary food service establishments at any time, but typically the event is inspected prior to permit issuance.  All temporary food service facilities that have sampling or food preparation onsite requires a certified food handler to be onsite for the duration of the event.