Sewer Repairs

Helpful Resources

Required Documents

Homeowners who: 1) own the home, 2) live in the home, and 3) homestead the home through the Dallas Central Appraisal District (DCAD) may pull a Homeowner's Affidavit and complete the repairs themselves if they feel confident in making the required repairs. Homeowners must provide a copy of a current driver's license which reflects the address you are trying to permit. (If you have recently purchased the home, please call our office at 972-205-2300 for alternatives to this requirement.) This department will verify with DCAD via their website that a homestead exemption exists for the permitted address. If there is no record of a homestead exemption, the homeowner must provide a copy of the executed homestead exemption from DCAD.

If the homeowner is unable to produce the required documents stated above, a State-licensed master plumber registered with the City of Garland must be hired to take out the permit.

Rental Properties

If the property is rental property, a State-licensed master plumber who is registered with the City of Garland must complete the repairs. No exceptions.

Permit Requirements

  • A permit must be obtained for replacement of any portion of a sewer line.
  • If the sewer line is being relocated and it requires a new sewer tap, a fee must be paid to the Water Department located at 2343 Forest Lane; 972-205-3210.
  • The sewer line must have a slope of at least 1/8 inch fall per foot. The pipe must be bedded properly on the bottom and sides of the pipe so that the line will maintain proper slope during backfill. Bedded in means that the sewer line is supported its entire length and the ditch is backfilled halfway up the pipe.
  • There must be a two-way cleanout close to the house.
  • The sewer line must be extended at least 1 foot past the property line.
  • The sewer line must have a water test. The line must be filled to the top of the cleanout or just below the floor level of the house.
  • All joints must be exposed with no water in the ditch. If water is in the ditch, it is assumed that the pipe joints are leaking and the inspection will not be approved.
  • After the sewer line inspection is approved, the homeowner/contractor must tie in the line temporarily so that the house will have sewer service.
  • The Inspector will release the sewer relay to the Water Department. The Water Department will schedule a time to make the sewer connection permanent. It takes approximately three working days for the Water Department to start the work. During those three days, other utility companies will be contacted to mark their lines.
  • The homeowner/contractor is approved to backfill the ditch, except for the temporary tie-in.
  • The temporary tie-in must remain exposed for the Water Department. The homeowner/contractor must coordinate with the Water Department to fence or tape off the excavation for safety purposes by contacting them at 972-205-3210.